You can design the perfect dining collection for your home (Part 1)by Country View Woodworking Ltd on 2018-07-19 16:18:00
If the time has come for you to purchase dining room furniture, you’re probably feeling excited that you’ll soon have a beautiful new dining collection, but also a bit overwhelmed about the decisions you’ll need to make in order to purchase something you and your family will love for years to come. After all, you’ll be choosing what will be the setting for many family dinners and conversations, holiday meals and birthday parties, rainy day card games and family game nights.
While it’s true that there are a few decisions to be made, the beauty of choosing a handcrafted hardwood dining collection is that you won’t be getting a “cookie cutter” set that is mass-produced in a large factory somewhere. Instead, you’ll get to help create the perfect pieces that match your lifestyle, fit your home’s style and size, and meet your personal design preferences.
What to consider when selecting seating
The two most important factors to consider when choosing dining room chairs are comfort and style. As far as comfort goes, it’s important to ask yourself whether you’ll enjoy sitting in these chairs meal after meal and year after year.
- Are there certain seat shapes and seat backs that you find more comfortable than others? For example, rounded versus square shaped seats, or seat backs that are curved inward versus fairly straight?
- Do you prefer cushioned seats or the smoothness of plain wood?
- Do you like a chair with some cushioning on the back as well as the seats?
- If you do prefer cushions, what kind of fabric best suits you and your family? Do you have young children or grandchildren that may drop food or spill drinks on lighter fabrics? Do you have pets that might try to put their paws or claws on the fabric? Try to choose a fabric that’s both comfortable and practical based on your lifestyle.
Once you’ve identified your comfort preferences, it’s time to pick a chair style. Here are some things to consider regarding style:
- Do you have an overall style you’re looking for, such as casual, traditional, or modern?
- Does the look of a certain style of chair just stand out to you? Perhaps you’re drawn to it’s uniqueness or the way it reminds you of the chairs your grandma used to have.
- Do you prefer armchairs for the ends of the table, or would you rather have side chairs all the way around? Sometimes the amount of space you have around your table can be a deciding factor, since armchairs require more clearance around the chair when people leave the table.
To be continued…Next month we’ll discuss what to consider when selecting a dining room table and storage options.
If you’re ready for new dining room furniture, we’ll gladly direct you to the closest CVW retailer in your area. Any of the retailers we work with can help you choose furniture that’s perfect for your home! Contact CVW or a dealer near you to get started.